11 January, 2012

The Shawshank Redemption


«Wednesday Movie Club». The film «The Shawshank Redemption» (1994) was presented to all who wish to improve their  language skills.

Crime | Drama 

Two imprisoned men bond over a number of years, finding solace and eventual redemption through acts of common decency.

Director: Frank Darabont
 

Writers: Stephen King (short story "Rita Hayworth and Shawshank Redemption"), Frank Darabont (screenplay)

Stars: Tim Robbins, Morgan Freeman and Bob Gunton

 
The Shawshank Redemption

With TRICKY ENGLISH excerpts by Joseph E Battilega
English is an easy language to learn, but a hard language to master.
 
The confrontation was bitter. I knew she hated all the sneaking around.

Where I get hazy is the part where the cleaning woman finds your wife and her lover in bed, riddled with .38 caliber bullets. Does that strike you as a fantastic coincidence?

He picks up a revolver, spins the cylinder before their eyes like a carnival barker spinning a wheel of fortune.

I submit to you this was not a hot-blooded crime of passion! That could at least be understood,
if not condoned.

(Judge speaking) I hereby order you to serve two life sentences, back to back.

Smokes. Put me down for two.

High roller.     Who's your horse?   That gangly one.    I'll take that action.   I stake half a pack.

I am Mr. Norton, the warden. You are sinners and scum. Rule number one: no blaspheming.

Half-blind from that delousing stuff they throw on you...

Now don't you listen to these nitwits, hear?

What's your malfunction?

(Question) How did you know that?      (Answer) I keep my ear to the ground.

A toothbrush, see, is a non-lethal sort of object.

I'm a rock hound.

The sisters have taken a real shine to you.

When they check you into this hotel one of the bellhops …..

It landed him in solitary confinement.

It was outdoor detail …

Cons shuffle past...

Ambulance-chasers
I think a man feels more like a man if he can have a bottle of suds.

The convicts stand gaping, all pretense of work gone. They look like they've been pole-axed.

The colossal jerk even managed to sound magnanimous.

We drank the beer. As for Andy, he spent that break hunkered in the shade …

You could argue he'd done it to curry favor with the guards.

...and totally inexplicable.

Andy spent a month in traction.

They scheduled the start of the intramural season to coincide with tax season...

Ain't that bad, old hoss. Won't be long till you're squiring pretty young girls on your arm.

The parole board got me into a halfway house and a job bagging groceries at the supermarket.

(Speaking of opera singers) I tell you, those voices soared. Higher and farther than anybody in
a gray place dares to dream. It was like some beautiful bird flapped into our drab little cage and made
these walls dissolve away....

Andy got two weeks in the hole for that little stunt.

In 1959, the folks up Augusta way finally clued in to the fact ..

He's got scams you haven't dreamed            of. Kickbacks on his kickbacks.

A phantom. An apparition. Second cousin to Harvey the Rabbit. I conjured him out of thin air.

They'll wind up chasing a figment of my imagination.

You did a stretch in prison too?   That was an easy ride, work programs, weekend furloughs.

The cat shimmied up the tree and crept stealthily out on the limb...

I get a new cellmate. Big twitchy guy.  Kind of roomie...  High-strung as he was...

I got me this job one time bussing tables at a country club. So I could case all the rich folks that come in. I pick out this guy, hotshot banker.

How can you be so obtuse?

Andy is diligently shining Norton's shoes.

They got this skinny kid …. He wasn't much in the brains department...

It appealed to his meticulous nature.

There is a harsh truth to face. He pauses at a pawnshop window. An array of handguns.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment