04 January, 2012

The Graduate


The film "The Graduate" (1967) was presented to all who wish to improve their language skills.
DIRECTOR :  Mike Nichols
STARRING :  Dustin Hoffman, Anne Bancroft, Katharine Ross
Dustin Hoffman, in his film debut, stars as Benjamin, a young college graduate who is seduced by Mrs. Robinson (Anne Bancroft), the wife of his father's boss. The plot is complicated when Hoffman falls in love with Mrs. Robinson's daughter, Elaine (Katharine Ross). The film won the Golden Globe award for Best Picture & Mike Nichols won the Oscar for Best Director.  Brilliant performances & an unforgettable music score by Simon and Garfunkel make this film, the masterpiece that it is. 
"The Graduate" is considered by some to be one of the finest films ever made. Don't miss it.


THE GRADUATE

The Dnipropetrovsk  WINDOWS ON  AMERICA center featured Movie, January 4, 2012

With TRICKY ENGLISH excerpts by Joseph E Battilega

English is an easy language to learn, but a hard language to master.

The sacrifices made for those we love

Uncompromising ambition

I shall endeavor to carry it...

We will make our four hour flight plan smack on the nose.

What's the matter?

Hey - there's our award winning scholar

Is that the new car out there? The little red Wop job?

The girls.  The chicks.  The teeny-boppers.

Here's the track star himself.

Ben - we're all so proud of you.

Would you mind walking ahead of me to the sun porch.

I'm very neurotic.

I feel rather flattered that you...

Would you like me to seduce you?

I'm getting tired of all this suspicion.

You look a little shaken up.

Sow a few wild oats.  Take things as they come.  Have a good time with the girls and so forth.

You have yourself a few flings this summer. 

One of the most astounding events ever to take place in this particular backyard.

Wait a minute - let me amend that
Just hang on a minute

One of the leading seats of learning in this country

Are you here for an affair, sir? (double entendre)

I will have a martini.

Well, I am a bit nervous.  I mean it's – it's hard to be suave when you're -

Will you bring me a hanger?

You’re afraid of being - inadequate -

After a few weeks a person should take stock in himself, think about getting off his ass.

I don't know the risk involved.

Let's drop it.

I'm a dirty degenerate, aren't     I?  I'm not fit to -

I'm good enough for you but I'm too slimy to associate with your daughter.

This is absurd.

Don't you think that she's a terribly attractive girl?

It's pretty embarrassing.  It's awkward and strained for me...

They cling exhausted to the raft …

I've had this feeling – this - kind of compulsion that I have to be rude all the time.

I'm asking you please not to wreck it.

This whole idea sounds pretty half-baked.

I am growing somewhat weary of family life.

I have been meaning to stop by and pay my     respects

You're not one of those agitators?

I was wondering where you were headed.

But you're not enrolled. No. I just sit in. They don't seem to mind.  They've been very congenial.

I don't think we'll have any more of this agitation. 
Do you have a special grudge against me?  Do you feel a strong resentment for me?

Is it something I've said that caused this contempt?  Or do you just despise the things I stand for.

Do you want to unclench your fists?

I don't want to mince words with you.

I think you are filth. I think you are scum.

He's probably still in the sack.

Where's the Make Out King getting married?

The other guests are ad-libbing their confusion.

No comments:

Post a Comment